Thursday, September 4, 2014

Why I cover the Michael Sam saga

Recently I been asked why I'm covering the Michael Sam saga as he pursues to get a career in the NFL being that, as stated in a previous post, I find pro-football to be like having a grown man childishly play in a McDonald's play pin (I been called a "football-phobe"). Yes, such harsh but yet truthful words. Truthful in the sense that is my honest opinion, one of many homos out there who are watching this drama unfold.

The thing is I cover are things that interest me and this story interests me. I personally don't like football but I do like Sam. He sounds smart, he's honest, he is without a criminal record unlike many in the NFL, he's attractive and yes he's big homo like me. Hence, I hope you all understand why this story might arouse my interest.

Many football heads get annoyed with every article or post on Sam. Well get over it. Sam is an interesting fellow, and to a lot of people it is very exciting to see an openly gay football player make it to the NFL. And that's understandable.

Football is one of those things that can easily pass over my head. The typical drama faced by many teams has been for a long time typical, and typical is not for me the least bit interesting. The Sam story is not at all typical. And just like a grown man who, yes, plays in a McDonald's play pin we can all laugh about it and find it silly (or disturbing depending who you ask) it is no doubt eye catching and not so typical and we are going to talk about it (at least I am). So when a gay man does it, not only is it funny and silly but also uniquely different and interesting once you add the gay layer to it.

And lastly, I cover many other things that other gays do that I find interesting but yet consider such things to be well, silly and childish. But I still cover them nonetheless.

Lets face it, when was the last time a openly gay man tried to join the NFL and actually did?

No comments:

Post a Comment