Saturday, July 21, 2012

Happy Days Are Here Again: MLS Gives Boy Scouts the Boot

I am not a soccer fan, but I am a fan of kicking homophobic butt out of our normal lives. Main link today on The Gay Report: Major League Soccer Gives Boy Scouts The Boot. It is really gratifying writing those words.

In the beginning of the 2012 soccer season, MLS shacked it up with the homophobic and anti-gay organization (and a haven for boy rapists) The Boys Scouts of America in a partnership of sorts. The Gay Report first reported on it, and the League was sort of caught in a potential scandal, since the league has a strong record against LGBT discrimination. They told The Gay Report that they didn't have any comment, but later when I personally called them back and talked to a guy who worked as some program department director b.s. (I couldn't get anybody from PR) and told me that many people didn't know about the MLS's anti-gay policy at the time they formed the partnership. I said maybe I should write something on the site to remind the MLS of not only about the BSA's anti-gay bigotry but its even more dangerous scandal of hiding pedophiles in leadership positions.

By then the guy on the phone was sort of choking on his own spit. "Do your homework!" I said very clear on the phone, which I think did resonate and sunk in to this guy's head. Hey! This gay guy is not messing around!

He then told me that he would talk to MLS management personally to make sure that this was the last time the MLS was going to do anything with the Boy Scouts. With that I promised him I wouldn't write anything after that and TA-DA! Today we finally see that the MLS has finally come to their senses and drop this hideous organization and kicked them to the curb; though of course they are trying to soften this a bit by saying:

"Major League Soccer’s agreement with the Boy Scouts of America expires at the end of the 2012 season and MLS does not intend the renew the agreement for a variety of business reasons..."

A variety reasons? Yes how about a good reason (and a good business decision) is to not associate with fruity pedophiles and homophobes. Yes, that's it. Good decision, good call.

No comments:

Post a Comment